Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Photo of the Day - Halo Moon:

2009-12-1 - Moon-7-2

Another Wednesday/hump day is behind us and I can't believe that we will already be leaving tomorrow evening to head up to Atlanta for the SEC Championship!

Sometimes it just pays to look up! Late on Monday night when I was taking the trash out to the end of our driveway. Most nights I do this to see what the night sky has in store and I'm rarely disappointed but on Monday night, it forced me to get out the camera even in the cool weather. At the time I had no idea what was going on but just knew it looked really interesting and that I wanted to get a shot of it before the clouds covered it up. I managed to get a few decent shots before the clouds took it away and headed back inside. After doing some quick google research I found out that this "Lunar Halo" is "caused by by refracted moonlight from ice crystals in cirrus clouds in the earth’s upper atmosphere the shape of the crystals causes the moonlight to be refracted into a ring around the moon and apparently sometimes signal the arrival of unsettled weather. Special thanks to Derek Beasley and the Local 15 Weather Authority's Facebook fan page for enlightening me! The rest of the photo set can be viewed here.

It was a 3 for 1 - saw a really cool event in the sky, got to take some pics of it, and then learned all about it! Can't beat that!

Thanks for checking out my photo of the day today! Be sure to come by again tomorrow for Thursday's edition which will have to be posted early since we're leaving for Atlanta tomorrow evening! See you tomorrow!

No comments: