Monday, January 18, 2010

Photo of the Day - Camellia:

2010-01-15 - Camellia-34

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was relaxing but oh so short as I will head back to work today and honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. from my office. I may be working but I will never forget what an important part of our nation's history he is.

I am going to try something new this week or at least for the first few days and see if it sticks. My goal now is to have the POTD up earlier in the day so that you aren't reading a post I made on Monday night on Tuesday morning etc etc. We will see if this is an easier way for me to do it and how many hits I get but if it works I'll stick with it.

As I mentioned on Friday I headed over to my parents house to take some photos of a few of my Mom's Camellias. She has quite a few very old bushes in her yard that produce some amazing and beautiful flowers. It's really interesting to see the differences between the different Camellia bushes as well as the differences in the flowers depending on the time of year and the temperature. She clipped a few flowers prior to the freeze last week and kept them outside so the ridiculously cold temperatures acted as a refrigerator and kept the flowers really fresh. This really worked out for me since I was only able to find time to shoot them on Friday afternoon.

I posted one of the shots as my photo of the day on Friday but over the weekend I had a little bit of time to edit and created a small gallery of some of the shots. I really enjoyed taking these pictures and love the set. The colors in this Camellia were so unique and I really fought with finding a way to properly capture it in a photo. The house I was shooting in has amazing natural light that flows in through a massive window in the front of the house but the more I shot the more I realized it was less about the light and more about the balance of light and shadow to really capture the true color of this flower. I could properly light it according to my camera's light meter but it just wasn't working for me until I sped up the shutter speed and let some darkness and shadow creep in to show off that amazing color. All in all I'm pretty pleased with the result! If you'd like to see the other 21 photos in the gallery click here. Be sure to click on the individual thumbnails to see the larger version of the photos and please let me know what you think either on here or in the comments section on Flickr.

Thank you so much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday if you have the day off and I look forward to seeing you back here again tomorrow for Tuesday's photo of the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap that color rocks! Great image.

Tim said...

Thanks Doug. I absolutely love shooting in this house with the HUGE window that catches the afternoon sun. It's perfect for stuff like this!