Monday, January 04, 2010

Photo of the Day - A Sweet Weekend:



Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great time ringing in the new year and I wish everyone the best in 2010. I had an awesome start to my year with my time spent in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. I had the amazing opportunity to shoot the Sugar Bowl and finish off my season of photographing the University of Florida football season at a BCS Bowl game. My weekend was great because I got to shoot the game but that definitely wasn't the only reason I enjoyed myself while I was there. We had a great New Year's eve celebration on and around Bourbon Street Of course it wasn't the same without my wife and I definitely missed her during the celebration but it was heart warming to know that she appreciated how unique an opportunity I was given to be able to travel and shoot the bowl game and she was all for me going even though she was unable. I can't tell you how cool that is! Just one of the many daily reminders she gives me that she perfect for me and how lucky I am. After celebrating the new year most of the night we headed back to the hotel for a little rest before the big day.

We got up fairly early based on how late we were out and headed out to do some sightseeing before we headed to the Super Dome. I will save details of that sightseeing for a post later in the week. Once we were done driving around we headed to the Super Dome and actually made it in right as it opened for media and headed to the digital work room to find a spot and get set up. I will admit we may have gotten there a little early but that allowed for more than enough time to get my gear as well as myself ready to shoot one of the bigger game of my (very young) sports photography career. As we walked in we were instructed to read and sign an agreement to be issued a vest for field access. Each vest was numbered and the luck of the draw gave me #15 - so Timmy and I got to share the same number for a game. That was a pretty cool omen as it turned out to be one of his best games, and I gave my best effort shooting it as well. It always makes the photos great when a player or team is playing at it's highest level and this game was no different.

The pre game meal was great and definitely was designed to show off the amazing food that New Orleans is known for. What a tasty start to the night! After watching some of the warm ups and checking the light levels it was finally time for the intros and the game to start. As you can imagine the intros, anthem, and everything that goes with a pregame show was done right since it is after all a BCS Bowl. All was very impressive and with the crowd going nuts and the atmosphere it was very easy for even the photographers and media to get into the moment.

The Gators played great and had an answer for their disappointing performance in the SEC Championship game and ended the season right. I had a great time shooting and before I knew it we were already back in the work room and then to post game interviews. Man time flies when you're having fun! It seems like just yesterday I was shooting the first game of the season and here we are in January. It has been a ton of work and shooting 10 games in a season may not sound like a lot but it wore me out. Honestly it's nothing compared to the schedules that some of these professionals have. They are stronger and more in shape physically and mentally than I am. I don't know how they do it! I have learned a lot this season but I definitely still have a ton to learn.

The above shot is actually an iPhone shot of the Sugar Bowl logo that was on one of the signs posted all over the Super Dome. I wanted to find something to take a picture of that wouldn't violate any of my contractual obligations but still show a somewhat "behind the scenes" look at the Sugar Bowl. Hopefully I will have some shots of me shooting at some point but if not, this shot, in addition to the experience and photos I took will be more than enough!

All in all it was an amazing Sugar Bowl weekend and I have had such a great time shooting and learning this season. I was truly blessed to have had the opportunity and I look forward to doing it all over again next year!

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope to see you back here tomorrow for another edition of the photo of the day!

No comments: