Monday, May 24, 2010

Anna Maria

2010-05-21 - Anna Maria Island-26

Hey everyone! Working in a Monday evening post so lets see how it goes! Before I get started: SUBSCRIBE :-) to my blog so you get an email every time I post. I know some of you have blog readers but now that I'm not doing a post every day the feed is a great way to keep up with what is going on, so sign up. I know how many subscribers I have now (not many) and I'll check again in 24 hours and see if anyone listened ;-) I promise no annoying spam or unnecessary emails.

Anyway - on to the show....Friday we drove over to Anna Maria Island for the day to celebrate Brittany's birthday. This was also Riley's first trip to the beach so we really weren't sure what to expect. Don't worry though, we did not spend a ton of time on the beach and only went out near sunset so his sun exposure was low. Being raised by someone who has had a melanoma has made me very aware of the damage the sun can do and I'll definitely pass that knowledge on to Riley one of these days. Anyway, we had a great day. We enjoyed a great lunch at the Star Fish Company seafood market and dockside restaurant and then made a trip to Britt's Aunt's Hair Salon/Bar on the island "Hairs To You Salon & Spa." I'm serious - during the day you can get your hair cut and it is also a full service salon and then as the day turns to night, it converts into a full bar. Really cool concept and we had a great time! Check it out!

After that we headed out to the beach to enjoy one of those great west coast (of Florida) sunsets. Here are some shots from the sunset:

2010-05-21 - Anna Maria Island-47

2010-05-21 - Anna Maria Island-7

2010-05-21 - Anna Maria Island-17-2

The rest are here.

With all of the difficulties being caused by this oil spill looking at the amazing beauty of our coast and the Gulf waters really reminds me of how beautiful and delicate our environment really is. I hope and pray that somehow the whole Gulf coastline can somehow survive this disaster.

In some completely unrelated and happier news. Today I won something. I like most people feel like I am in the category of "never wins anything" but every now and then I have lucked out and won some type of drawing. This time it was a big one! I found out that I was 1 of 25 people who won free dinner for a year (actually just once a week but still awesome) from Black and Brew in downtown Lakeland. They were running a fundraiser to raise money for the United way and you could donate and get up to 3 entries. I made my donation and got my entries just in time (last week of the contest) and saw their tweet today that said the list of winners was up. I stopped by during lunch and checked the list just to make sure my name wasn't on it (helps with the disappointment factor) but sure enough, it was there! Definitely glad I made the donation to help and happy to win since Black & Brew is one of my favorite hang outs for lunch! Thanks!

Anyway, that's all for now. Hope you enjoyed the photos and if you're in Lakeland check out Black & Brew. Be sure to check back in soon! Let me know what you think and be sure to follow me on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments: