Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Photo of the Day - Almost There:

0902Miami v. UF Baseball037-250

Welcome back and happy Hump Day! For a long time Wednesday didn't really have much meaning to me while I was in school because I was usually only away from home for 3 or 4 hours a day. That changes pretty fast with a job and everything else we have going on here!

Today's shot has a few meanings so I'll get to explaining. Obviously with my mention of hump day this can definitely represent the fact that we're "almost there" in the sense of getting through another work week and making it to the weekend. In terms of the baseball season, the World Series is almost over and one team is almost to a World Championship. The series has been fun to watch and although I don't have a team in the game, I will be rooting for a game 7 because that is definitely the ultimate in any sport - one game to determine it all. The pressure and excitement is like none other. One of these days I'd love to have the opportunity to shoot some MLB baseball and maybe even a playoff series! Time will tell!

Today's shot was taken during last year's college baseball season when the University of Florida took on the University of Miami. As I have mentioned in a previous post, baseball, like all sports is difficult to shoot. One of the biggest challenges in sports photography is to get something different. Obviously you have to cover the game and give usable (hopefully better than just "usable") but more importantly you have always got to look for ways to cover the same sport people have been watching for most of their lives. Photographers use tons of creative ways of doing this, some more mechanical than others, but I am always looking for ways to change it up a bit and see the sport in a different way. During this game I was working in the first base box and the runner for UF was a definite steal threat so the pitcher was throwing to first in order to keep the runner close. After watching it a few times I realized this would be a great chance to shoot something "different." I took a few groups of shots but this one is definitely my favorite! The rest of the set from that game can be viewed here.

Thanks so much for stopping by and please come back tomorrow for more! See you tomorrow!

No comments: