Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Photo of the Day - Veterans Day:

Navy Hat-2

I admit it. I used this exact same photo a year ago today for my Veterans Day post but it really is the best way I can show how I feel on this day and the photo has such a special meaning to me. This day should hold a special place in every American's heart and mind. It is not just a day off from work to relax and catch up. It is a day to stop and reflect on memories of your own service, family members who served, and honoring these amazing people by showing them how much their sacrifice truly means to us.

The above photo was taken on the day my grandfather, a World War II Navy Veteran, passed away. I honestly didn't know what to do with myself that afternoon while we were home with family so I went into his room to look around. There were so many things there that were representative of his amazing life and I took photos of many of them. This hat was one of the most interesting to me. It reminded of all of his stories he used to tell about his experiences and his medals hanging on the wall. It was a symbol of a significant chapter in his life. He left his family and all of the comforts of home he had grown to know and love to fight a war for his country on foreign soil and in foreign seas. He did this for his family, and for his country. What is most amazing however, is he did this for millions of people he had never met, to protect them and the freedoms we all so comfortably enjoy still today. This selfless attitude that he and millions of other past and current military men and women exude should be given the utmost respect and honor. I cannot imagine what it takes but I am so thankful we have our Veterans and service men and women!

Thank you so much for stopping by today and when you leave, be sure to thank a Veteran in your own special way sometime this week. We all know someone so thank them! I thank my grandfather every time I think of him or see a photo like the one above. Thanks again for coming by to view the photo and be sure to stop by again tomorrow for another photo of the day!

No comments: